STANDING UP TO THE HEAT
The emphasis on life safety and property protection has never been greater than it is today. Doors play a vital role in the fire resistance of a building; they allow people to evacuate safely from a building along with limiting the spread of fire and smoke to other areas.
Fire doors help to provide the following functions:
- Safe egress from a fire area during a fire
- Inhibit the fire from spreading throughout the building
- Protect life and property by reducing smoke hazards
- Serve as a regular door pathway at all times
Republic provides a comprehensive line of 1 3/8" and 1 3/4" thick labeled doors and frames to meet all requirements for fire protection. All of Republic's door constructions conform to certified fire door procedures whether the doors are furnished with labels or not. Since label requirements vary throughout the country, local authorities having jurisdiction (AHJs) should be consulted during the design and planning stages.
All Republic doors and frames have been fire tested in accordance with UL 10B, UL 10C, UBC 7-2, and ASTM E-152 and are all produced under Underwriters Laboratories and Warnock Hersey/ITS factory inspection and labeling service program.
Republic’s fire rating capabilities include the use of ceramic glass and special glazing compounds. View FireLite® fire-rated glass technical data specifications by Technical Glass Products (TGP), which list all of the maximum size limitations along with fire ratings. FireLite fire-rated glass is listed under Republic's Underwriters Laboratories and Warnock Hersey follow-up programs.
When selecting Republic fire-rated doors and frames for your next project, consider the following:
- Fire-resistance-rated frames must have fire-resistance-rated glazing. There are different limitations depending on the type of glazing
- Door opening sizes are also limited by the manufacturer’s listings, not to mention the structural integrity and ability to function properly
- Jamb depth of frame relates to wall thickness. It’s important to verify the availability of a fire rated configuration for custom profiles
- Caution must be taken with light and lock cutouts to ensure they do not negate the fire rating
TEMPERATURE RISE DOORS
- A temperature rise door is a fire-rated door which limits the heat transfer through the door for a period of 30 minutes
- Temperature rise ratings indicate the maximum rise above ambient temperature on the non-fire side of the door, and will be either 250° or 450° F
- The 250° door is the most restrictive because it limits the heat transfer to only 250° for a 30-minute period
- A typical hollow metal door would reach approximately 1400° F in the same time period
- By minimizing the transfer of heat, a temperature rise door could protect an exit enclosure, allowing people to pass below the floor of fire origin
- See DL Series Temperature Rise Doors for more information
For more information on Republic fire-rated doors and frames, please see the Republic Technical Data Manual (Pages 94-97) .